Why Barefoot??

WHY BAREFOOT????
Because being barefoot to me is being raw. Feeling every sharp rock, lush clover, spiky thistle, cushioned blade of grass, slimy covered stones, fragrant feathered flowers, cereal of sand, bead of water, element of litter, and the mash of mud.

Being Barefoot is the promise of prancing in the moonlight, leaping in the waves, running through a meadow, dancing on the porch, and doing all this while enduring a long journey to the end.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Weigh in Day

Another 4 pounds lost, wow, what a wonderful, use of life. I can't believe that all I do is follow this program and I lose weight. It isn't what I would call easy but it isn't the hardest thing I have ever done either.

I read something really great that I thought I would share it comes from the book called "The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer." The book itself is great it was written "based on a highly successful marathon class offered by the University of Norther Iowa." It is fascinating in that it takes virtually non running people of all types and walks of life and in 16 weeks they all finish a marathon. They accomplish this with only training 4 days a week. With the running that they do the students also focus on mental preparation.

They suggested that with any negative thought attach this phrase at the end "but it doesn't matter." So while running up "Goliath" today (which is a hill that is near my home and yes I made up that name for it), my incredibly handsome, and supportive husband drove by to see how I was doing. The conversation went as follows.
Jesse - "Are you doing ok?"
Me - "AH NO!"
Me - in my head "Ah no but it doesn't matter I am going to keep running up this hill even though I can't talk right now because I am gasping for air, and my feet feel like they are slipping on the gravel which makes me feel as though I am actually moving backwards instead of forward, but none of that matters because I am going to do it just the same and LOVE IT!"

Yes the phrase "but it doesn't matter" actually works enough to conquer Goliath.

And so....

I have to take my daughter the hospital this week, and run 4 miles on a treadmill in a hotel but it doesn't matter. I am going to do it. Besides running on a treadmill in a hotel ought to have some great experiences to write about don't you think??

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Barb on 4 more pounds! Things will be well this week...no matter what! You are one of the strongest people I know. When you are on the treadmill be grateful that there is no gravel to make you feel like you are backsliding! Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to Go BARB!!!!!
    I'm going to steal your ideas."but it doesn't matter" That is good advice.
    The power of thought, oh, just to really learn how to control the mind, that is the quest!!!
    Thanks for your inspriation!!
    Hope all goes well this weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb, Gen just told me about your site and goal. You are, as always, amazing! I look forward to 'running' into you for a chance to catch up and get a few more details on your new adventures. Now, to get Jesse out of that car and running up 'Goliath' with you :-)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, a 5K........" I think I can, I think I can, I think I can".

    ReplyDelete