Why Barefoot??

WHY BAREFOOT????
Because being barefoot to me is being raw. Feeling every sharp rock, lush clover, spiky thistle, cushioned blade of grass, slimy covered stones, fragrant feathered flowers, cereal of sand, bead of water, element of litter, and the mash of mud.

Being Barefoot is the promise of prancing in the moonlight, leaping in the waves, running through a meadow, dancing on the porch, and doing all this while enduring a long journey to the end.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thank you Oprah

Today in group we watch a clip from some Oprah show. It was talking about her journey with weight loss, and as I watched clips from the last 25 years (or was it just 20) I realized that it was partial because of Oprah that I never did diet.

Although I was very aware that I was becoming over weight, I just knew that "dieting" in any way shape or form would never work, or would only work temporally. I knew because of her success and then failures, that the only real solution was a permanent Lifestyle change. No quick fixes, no satisfaction now, with consequences later. Just plain old hard work, and accountability were the key to really getting my weight problem and issues under control.

Between that and a couple years study of the Word of Wisdom,and the Grace of God, has brought me to where I am today. So where am I?

I AM HERE, in this moment, in this body, in my life, feeling things, that I haven't felt for a long time or maybe even never felt at all.

I had a huge break through last week. Someone once said to me "with every 10 pounds comes another emotional layer of the eating!" Of all the things people have said to me this has been one of the truest. I discovered last week that along with the "Frustration" I was feeling disappointed. Everybody has their stuff, and I have mine. I have to say that Heavenly Father has blessed me. I can now recognize what some of the triggers are for my stuff. Which means instead of eating to escape them I can feel them and help myself through them instead of abandoning myself with food.

This makes me feel powerful beyond measure.

It really proved to me that "I can care for myself" with God's help of course. The feeling I get from walking through these fires instead of running from them is one I can not describe but know this .... There is not a piece of chocolate in the world that tastes as good as it feels.

So yes a most sincere Thank You, goes out to Oprah, for with her learning, I too have learned.

5 comments:

  1. You learn from Oprah - I learn from you. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself Barb. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good point about how food can be a way of dealing or hiding from emotions we do not want to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want you to know I have been out running because of you. Someday our schedules will mesh and we will run together. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm running because of you too, and that is a good thing!! Always enjoy your thoughts and insights, keep on keeping on!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what? You are a motivation for me to run as well. 5K here we come.....

    ReplyDelete