Why Barefoot??

WHY BAREFOOT????
Because being barefoot to me is being raw. Feeling every sharp rock, lush clover, spiky thistle, cushioned blade of grass, slimy covered stones, fragrant feathered flowers, cereal of sand, bead of water, element of litter, and the mash of mud.

Being Barefoot is the promise of prancing in the moonlight, leaping in the waves, running through a meadow, dancing on the porch, and doing all this while enduring a long journey to the end.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

No pedestals, thank you

Another minimal weight loss week, but heck every bit helps.

Yesterday was a Picky eating day. I just couldn't stop eating, now thank goodness their isn't junk in my house, so most of it was a carrot, nuts, peas, bread, there were some cookies in there I am sure but it seemed like every time I turned around my mouth was full or was about to be, I even ate chocolate chips which I haven't done in a while. So last night I felt like 285 pounds again, I felt out of control, I felt like I was back there again, hungry with nothing to fill me up, because I wasn't hungry for food I was hungry for something else. It was a horrible feeling, I knew, that I didn't look that way and weigh that much anymore, I even looked specifically in the mirror for it, but it just felt like it. I wish I could describe it better, it was a depressed state not in the mental illness kind of depression but I physically felt pressed down upon. I realize now that even though I thought I was doing ok being that overweight I wasn't, it makes me sad for that person. Another thing that has changed is that I like to do my hair and put on nice clothes that fit before I go out. This is huge for me I have never really cared about that I would wear or how my hair was done give me a baseball hat anywhere anytime. Now I am not putting down baseball caps and ponytails they definitely have their place but not every time you go out. I have found myself saying "I have worked to hard to wear something that doesn't fit properly." It is another thing that makes me sad for that other person. Life can be and is so much better than that but you honestly have to figure it out for yourself, nobody can help you but God.

So back to being hungry...today I figured out what I was hungry for. I have a lot going on right now, Jesse flew to San Diego, last weekend kind of suddenly, so I had the kids all weekend, which wouldn't have been that bad but there was Judo to go to, and a "Meet the family" I needed to go to, and at last a Regional Training meeting that I needed to attend that was an hour away. It was a little stressful arranging all of that.

Also I an acquaintance of mine got hit by a car while out running. This really threw me for a loop considering I have been out running at 5:30am and trust my there is no light. I still went running on the highway the next morning with my friends that I am going to Polson to run a 5k with this weekend. But we didn't start till 7:30 so it was light. When I went Thursday, I grabbed an extra flashlight and stuck to a gravel road with no traffic instead of going on the highway. I don't know how serious I should take this, I do wear reflective clothing and stuff. If I don't run outside I could use my elliptical but it is not really the same as running what do you think should I call it quits for the winter, or try and figure something else out. Maybe I could go at later when Jesse gets home from school, but he is very inconsistent with that, maybe get a baby sitter but that costs money and seems like a lot of work.

I am speaking at a Relief Society meeting Thursday night about "Change." I am pretty much just going to give that talk I gave at the Lifestyles Retreat in May. Maybe switch it up a little bit. I have also been asked to speak at the Lifestyles Success dinner in November. That is causing me some stress as well, but I talked to Linda about it today, and feel better. I am not a poster girl for Lifestyles, I am just doing what I am doing. Sometimes I feel like I am being put upon a pedestal and with that I feel a tremendous amount of pressure not in a good way, I don't like pressure. I really don't like pressure, but I just have to keep reminding myself that nobody matters but me, it doesn't matter what anyone else says, or thinks, or for that matter does. I can only control my actions. There is no magic way to do what I am doing. All I can really say is that it is little, minute by minute, grocery cart by grocery cart, spoon by spoon decisions to change my LIFE, and when you string those all together wow, it really does matter.

Also that and a deeper understanding of who I am, why I am here, and where I am going. I don't really know what came first for me, the losing the weight and figuring out how great I am or the figuring out how great I am and then losing the weight. I guess it doesn't really matter.

So after figuring out that none of that other stuff really matters, and I am just me, and I don't have to help anyone, I just have to take care of me, I don't have to convince anyone, just take care of me, just make my own decisions. I feel a little better, stressed yeah but coping with it, and not eating it.

I am ridiculously excited about my girls get away this weekend. I would love to kill this 5K and run it under 30 minutes but the training hasn't been there so what will come will come. It is going to be FUN and relaxing and I deserve it.

7 comments:

  1. Barb, talk to me about what you can do to run safely. Avoiding highways actually isn't the answer - gravel roads can be very dangerous. BUT, there are some things you can do to make yourself seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb - thanks for writing the words I have said, felt, thought and understood.

    Good luck - it's amazing how much pressure there is. . . and how some days we handle it, and some days we don't. . . those dang chocolate chips!

    I think how we see ourselves is complicated. I always said I didn't care what other people thought of me - but if that were really true I don't know if I would feel so much pressure to be who I think they think I am. . . we all make mistakes - that is what we came here to do - right?!

    I know you get it..

    Keep running when it works for you - be seen, and don't let fear in...

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yah! Polson here we come. I am just hoping to run the whole thing without stops.

    You are wonderful Barb!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your run went well!

    You are a great person. Yes, pressure is hard. Good for you to recognize what was happening. Admitting and finding issues is hard. Looking back at the old self can be shocking.

    I would keep to the Highways, unless the weather is crappy. You enjoy the outdoors, and there is something better about running outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great weekend!! Thanks for all the fun!!
    You'll look SMASHING for your next presentation, you are doing amazing things and it's fun to be a small part of it. Thanks for sharing!!
    Good Work Barb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb, I just stumbled upon your blog from Rita's and I'm so glad I did. Thanks for your honesty and words of wisdom -- you've given me lots to think about. I'm so proud of you! You are an amazing woman and you look amazing too (but you've always been beautiful and had an inner beauty that shone through.) Keep up the good work -- you are worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi BJ. I love you. I am super proud of you for being asked to speak. You ARE a poster child...maybe not necessarily for the Lifestyles program or for Relief Society or any other group. You are the poster child for making a decision to change and sticking with it no matter how difficult or how many times you have to start again. You're doing it. THAT'S what you are the poster child for.

    ReplyDelete