Why Barefoot??

WHY BAREFOOT????
Because being barefoot to me is being raw. Feeling every sharp rock, lush clover, spiky thistle, cushioned blade of grass, slimy covered stones, fragrant feathered flowers, cereal of sand, bead of water, element of litter, and the mash of mud.

Being Barefoot is the promise of prancing in the moonlight, leaping in the waves, running through a meadow, dancing on the porch, and doing all this while enduring a long journey to the end.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Running my own race

It was my birthday along with mother's day on Sunday. I love my family very much but knowing that they would not be able to fulfill my needs, or wants, I took off with some lovely women to Calgary for Time Out for Women. It was just what I needed. My favourite speaker of the weekend was Laurel Christensen (click on her name to take you to her blog). She is so great. She talked about deciding what you want, and then asking the Lord if it is the right thing to want, and then praying about it with your whole soul. Ok but she did it way better and cuter than anything I have ever seen. I also identified with her because she is running her first 1/2 marathon on June 11. She is darling and you have to check her out!

Speaking of running 1/2 marathons, AHHHHHH only 14 days until the Legacy 1/2 marathon. The nine miles I ran last this morning and it was windy and cold and hard I cried as Jesse drove me to the drop off point and I cried on the couch when I was finished. Last week was 8 miles and they were so great, that I was really excited about this race. Since Jesse and I have kind of helped with it since the beginning, I kind of feel like I am running my own race. I have wanted to run this race every since my wonderful Father in Law started it three years ago, and so now it is a dream come true. And the first of my New Year's resolutions to accomplish this year. Running a 1/2 marathon in May in Canada means you have got some heart because the training weather has not been nice.




Got to get the mileage in next year I am getting a treadmill!


Anyway the more I think about crossing the finish line with a lot of people I love and admire being there the more excited I am about the race. I picture myself really enjoying it, stoping at each water station to say hello to neighbours and friends and running on my own road, toward my mountains, and my home town. I feel excited, confident, and peaceful. I haven't quite put the whole metaphor together yet but there is something to be said about running your own race.
Feeling like this post is a little weak but it is all I have time for.
xoxo
Barb

6 comments:

  1. This post is not weak! It shares with us how you are feeling...blessed, excited. You will do great!!

    I may just have to join you next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous and very impressed that you are going to be running that. I wish I was in any kind of shape for it... okay, it's more that I've just been missing the drive and the willpower to train, and you are inspiring for having those very things...even in the rain.
    I know what you're saying about the metaphor that's hard to explain... I tried a while back. (http://jenrenolsen.blogspot.com/2009/05/running.html, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow Jenna, if any one wanted that metaphor, that is it!!! You have got to read that metaphor it is simply the most beautiful thing. Oh Jenna thank you. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Barb, this post is great. It had depth and all that jazz.......I just noticed, you have 27 followers? Clark has a ton too and I have been doing this longer than the two of you put together times, like, 4. I even beg for comments. So not fair. Just joshing you.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you ran this morning!! It was a good one! You'll run your race and it will be better than you can ever know!! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think picturing things in your mind is a great way to go. It helps with all sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete