Why Barefoot??

WHY BAREFOOT????
Because being barefoot to me is being raw. Feeling every sharp rock, lush clover, spiky thistle, cushioned blade of grass, slimy covered stones, fragrant feathered flowers, cereal of sand, bead of water, element of litter, and the mash of mud.

Being Barefoot is the promise of prancing in the moonlight, leaping in the waves, running through a meadow, dancing on the porch, and doing all this while enduring a long journey to the end.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Nothing lost but everything gained.

Yes at the weigh in this week I didn't lose a pound there was a moment of "really because I ran 13.1 miles this weekend and really I didn't lose a pound?" But when put in perspective of 9 hour car ride with 4 children, to run for 3 hours and then sleep and drive 9 hours home with 4 children not gaining a pound is pretty great. Although I am not a big TV watcher, I did watch the Biggest Loser last season. I remembered that "Darius" ran a 4 hour marathon and put on 2 pounds, I felt a little of his pain this week. Just goes to show just because your running doesn't mean you are going to lose weight it is only part of the process.

As promised here is a better run down of the Race.

Arriving at the bus a minute before departure you would think I would be a nervous wreak. But I wasn't. I felt prepared. I was living in the moment. I was really there. I was participating in my life. As the bus drove on I chatted with my sister and her husband I remember feeling at the time surprised at how calm I felt. I was really happy that this wasn't the first formal running event that I had ever run. As the bus was nearing the end the route we started passing a few Marathon runners. I marveled that they were only half way through their journey and I hadn't even started yet.

As we were the last bus to arrive there was quite the group of people already there 419 to be exact. There was the usual blaring music and people warming in up. I always find this quite amusing, you always have your full out runners, which I will never understand you are about to run 13.1 miles and so what you are trying to get a couple more in before hand??? Then you have your yoga hippy people who are standing in downward dog pose and then jumping up to salutation to the morning sun, yikes make sure you stay out of their way. There are also your leg pullers, arm swingers, jogging in one spot, and my favourite jumping jacks. But all in all runners in general are some of the best people. The are usually pretty down to earth, humble, balanced, and over all happy. The number of porta potties and the beging of the race was something to commend the race officials for, I only had to stand in a line for maybe a minute. But I did dry heave the whole time I was actually using the porta pottie, sorry that is probably to much information. My sister and her husband comment to each other that this is such a small race, I am amazed because this is the 2nd biggest pack of people I have ever ran with. They also commented on how well the back packs were being stored by the UPS guys in the back of their truck they thought it was cute. We also ran into some people that my sister and her husband knew it was cute and they were super nice. We stood out by the road cheering on the Marathoners until it was time to start, and then my sister and I took our place in the pack. I always like to start and the very back of the pack I am not racing against anyone but myself and I don't like the feeling at the front of the pack besides the days of any kind of competition are well behind me, I am only racing my demons and there are plenty of those.

The count down begins 10,9,8...2,1,Go and there was a collective bouncing up and down ahead of us as the race began. I decided along time ago that I wanted to start off the race walking so we walked across the timers mat and kept going. I feel like I am walking into a new part of my life I am now a 1/2 marathoner.

Mile 1 was what a mile 1 should be everyone so excited, still a lot of people out cheering relatives taking photos. I feel great with a shot of adrenaline who wouldn't.

Mile 2 seemed to have a slight hill which was the first of many that I didn't expect but they were still nothing like I had trained on so nothing seemed that bad.

Mile 3 I remember my sister saying awesome only 10 miles left. I also remember thinking about my route back home saying oh 10 miles I can do that, that is only running to town, I have totally got this thing in the bag. It really was a perfect morning jog, warm, no wind, sun rising, and painting the sky. I told my sister how much I love 3 miles because it was the first race I ran and it always makes me feel like I am a real runner when I can run 3 miles without stopping. This is also where I started to feet my left foot, and I really to remember thinking "Oh Hello there hurting foot come and run with me today." This was also the first time we stopped to get some water.

Mile 4 I remember that it was still cool the scenery was beautiful, little Idaho homes with great landscaping, and the hills on both sides. This was also where we ran into some more people that my sister knew it was two people one was an older gentlemen who put his arm around me as he talk to me about the race. I found this humourful, and nice they seemed to stay for quite some time but when you are running for 3 hours time is not something really you pay attention too.

Mile 5 Is always a wonderful place no matter where you are. This is when my chest seems to loosen up and my arms relax. My sister and I talk about how much we love a mile five. I am now stopping at every water station to get sips of water. Scenery again I think this is where there were all of sudden huge rocks jutting out of the earth like the giants had played baseball and these ones had been hit out the park. I start marking where I am on my route that I run at home. It is between Marvin and Tracy's house.

MIle 6 There was a train, a really long train, and he honked at us and waved. I took some Gateorade at a water station. While running at home in my mind I am at Simon's house.

Mile 7 My sister tells me a story about trying to fiance an investment property it made that mile zoom by.

Mile 8 ohhh this one hurt all of a sudden my foot was screaming, and there was a hill, and the sun was now full on our backs.

Mile 9 at the top of the hill very hot, we ran by a big high school, I was wondering why all the cars were there on a Saturday but my mouth was too dry to talk about it. My foot hurts. I start with the mind chanting "I'M HEALTHY, I'M STRONG, I'M EVERYTHING THAT I NEED TO BE. I AM A DAUGHTER OF GOD."

Mile 10 only 3 miles left I can do 3 miles can't I? Some more self talk "You know you don't have to to do this?" "uhh yeah I do, but more so I WANT to do this." We decided to not let two ladies that are in front of us get away we decided not to let them beat us. One of their husbands keeps driving along the route and then stopping and cheering for them, I think it is nice. He also has a Giant Schnauzer in the back of his Explorer.

MIle 11 where oh where is that IBU, my sister spots a lady taking out her garbage in her pj's. She remarks that always make her think that "oh yeah some people our age are just getting out of bed right now. Doesn't it feel good to be out doing this instead." I fully agree with her. We meet my sister's husband along the route he has finished his 1/2 marathon and come back to meet us, he is great and funny. He also seems really strong for some reason I stick pretty close to him for the rest of the race drawing some inner strength from him. I decided I just want to have a good strong last mile.

Mile 12 We run into my other sister who ran the 5K and has come back to find us. I am not doing so great at this time I am walking a lot my chest feels heavy, my foot hurts but it just doesn't feel like I have that core strength that I am so use to having. My sister tries to get me to run three telephone poles and then walk that works for a while. Everything is hard. I decided I just want to have a good strong last .1 mile. I also let the ladies that we were suppose to beat go. Good for them.

MIle 13 Ok this is starting to look familiar I am going to finish this. Some lady jogs by trying to get us to run with her she is nice it makes me feel a little bad that I can't make her feel good by doing what she asks but it is just not going to happen right now. I am starting to cry a little this is REALLY hard.

Mile .1 I tell my sisters and brother in-law to go ahead and I will finish alone, they all say no but will be right behind me and promise not to talk. I see my brother who had run the 5 k and his little girl waiting for me I look him in the eye and we both start to cry. I keep going I am running now, I see the end, all of sudden there is my other two sisters, my parents, my children, my sister-in- law, and on the other side my husband. I only glance, the emotion is too much I have just got to finish. I hear the announcer talking about me he says I am from my hometown and CANADA I raise my arms in celebration of me and my country. Then my sister is beside me yelling at him that we are sisters and that it is my first 1/2. There is a medal placed around my neck there are three water bottles in my hands and so much happiness and love it is hard to explain. This picture describes it best.


Seriously look at that smile, that reminds me of the smile my children have when they have played outside all day long and are just about to go to sleep in their own beds, with their own blankets and pillows, they have had their teeth brushed, faces washed, story read, they are peaceful, content with the world, but tired. It is my favourite smile. It reminds me of Robert Browning's Pippa Passes.

The year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in his Heaven -
All's right with the world!


So for a week of not losing a pound as you can see I have gained everything.

7 comments:

  1. Love the mile by mile report. I can sympathize with the need for a lot of self-talk even if it gets a little odd sometimes :-)

    Around race time, I always gain. First, I do a little carbo loading through the week to upload muscles with needed glycogen. Then for race fuel and especially recovery I find myself eating ad drinking a lot. A person would really have to worry if they dropped much at all aorund a race because it could mean that they aren't taking care of themsleves like they shoud, hydrating, refueling, etc. You done good!

    P.S. This is Nathan on Gen's computer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to read the mile by mile report! Good for you Barb! Good things are happening, Ya Barb!!
    Thanks for the inspiration in all things!! :)
    It's only going to get better, "tenfold" ! :) :)
    Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost cried at the end Barb. I felt like I was intruding on a celestial moment when greeted by your family. And your parents were there? Of course, they would have been no place else. This is my favorite post yet. Have you found a 5k yet? I'm practicing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried while reading this. You Did It Barb!!! You battled both the physical and emotional battles and won!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are we going to Missoula? We need to decide so we can commit to be ready. Let us know:)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb!- You are amazing! So inspiring! We need to plan to do a race together when I can finally start to run again. I loved the play by play report and hearing all your thoughts. It brought me to tears. You are so strong! Fearless! An Amazing daughter of God! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your report! Good on ya!

    ReplyDelete