Why Barefoot??

WHY BAREFOOT????
Because being barefoot to me is being raw. Feeling every sharp rock, lush clover, spiky thistle, cushioned blade of grass, slimy covered stones, fragrant feathered flowers, cereal of sand, bead of water, element of litter, and the mash of mud.

Being Barefoot is the promise of prancing in the moonlight, leaping in the waves, running through a meadow, dancing on the porch, and doing all this while enduring a long journey to the end.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Tips

Ok so a fast post for Christmas because who wants to be writing blogs when there are Christmas cards to still write.

I have been able to encourage my integrity this Christmas by doing the following things.
Instead of buying dollar store junk, or giving away unhealthy treats which everybody loves but lets face it nobody needs. We wrote meaningful Christmas cards and included the following in the card along with some of these pictures.

I had a friend go to Africa this last year, with the program Mother’s Without Borders. She will be returning to Africa in April. In leiu of Christmas Gift or unhealthy treats this year. We have donated money to this cause in your name, by purchasing this picture. I hope when you look at this picture it will fill you with warmth and remind us all of how truly blessed we already are.


“ ‘Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!’..... ‘At this time of rolling year,’ the spectre said, ‘I suffer most. Why did I walk through crowds of fellow-beings with my eyes turned down, and never raise them to that blessed Star which led the Wise Men to a poor abode! Were there no poor homes to which it light would have conducted me!’” -Marley’s Ghost, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens




Best thing ever.


Next, was an idea that came from a sheet that Linda gave me. It said to enjoy the things we can only enjoy at Christmas. ie for me Sugar cookies, Toffiefay, Macadamia clusters, homemade slush. While still trying to employ the three bite rule on most things.



Next comes from this blog you HAVE to read it. I have been loving it. This is only some of what it said.


Either they always have to be "perfect", never straying from some restrictive ideal, or instead they pigeonhole themselves into some dietary regime or strategy.

Striving to be perfect is a sure way to first "fall off the wagon", and then "not get back on track", because who wants to be on an impossible track.

My thinking is that rather than try to be perfect, do your best, remembering of course that your best will vary, and some days, compared with others, objectively your best won't look very good, despite the fact that subjectively it's actually your best.
Don't strive for perfection, and don't live a pigeonhole, instead do and eat your best, and rather than worry that your best isn't perfect, worry if it is.



When I read this, it felt like, oh yeah I believe that too, but I had forgotten. It was great to be reminded.


Next, know your tools. Just as any trade person going to work knows which tools work best in which situations know your tools. Some of my tools this month have been watching Christmas movies, baths, lunch with friends, puzzles, sudko, ice water, learning to knit, teaching my daughter to sew, fancy herbal tea, wrapping gifts, and letting my children attack the treats from the neighbours first.



Last follow this link to watch a beautiful video, and hopeful this Christmas we will all remember to be wise.


Merry Christmas.

xoxoox

Barb






2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed both the blog and the video!! Great insight. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the blog post about the importance of not striving to be perfect, but for me it needs to be clarified a bit. Let me explain.

    While I technically agree with the imperative statement "Don't strive for perfection," that kind of thinking puts me on a slippery slope towards cheating on my diet. It's too easy for me to think to myself "I don't have to be perfect" while I dish myself up another bowl of ice cream.

    Instead, I prefer to have the mentality that the rules governing my diet don't have to be perfectly strict, but I do have to follow those rules perfectly. So, if I *have* to have two bowls of ice cream, I designate a day each week where I am allowed to have two bowls of ice cream. Then I make sure I only have two on the specified day.

    In other words, I don't consider it acceptable to fall off the wagon every couple of day, but I make the wagon big enough so that I don't fall off.

    That is what works best for me. I'm sure others have had a different experience.

    ReplyDelete