Why Barefoot??

WHY BAREFOOT????
Because being barefoot to me is being raw. Feeling every sharp rock, lush clover, spiky thistle, cushioned blade of grass, slimy covered stones, fragrant feathered flowers, cereal of sand, bead of water, element of litter, and the mash of mud.

Being Barefoot is the promise of prancing in the moonlight, leaping in the waves, running through a meadow, dancing on the porch, and doing all this while enduring a long journey to the end.

Monday, April 18, 2011

The wisdom of friends

I had a good friend, go home to her maker, and her sweetheart this last week. I have been thinking about her and all the things she taught me. I remember that she has a painting in her "fancy room," of the Ten Virgins. This parable has always meant a lot to me. It can be interpreted in many different ways. I was thinking of it in two different ways, one way was about being prepared, and the other way was about those five virgins who could not share their oil.

When Heavenly Father created women He created them to be a help meet which means, a helper suited to, worthy of, or corresponding to him. He did a very good job. I don't know of a women out there who don't have a desire to help some one. Satan takes this wonderful value and twists it to his own use. He gets some women so caught up in helping or feeling like they are just never doing enough that they start to really feel bad about them selves. I am such a woman as this. I love helping other people. I love helping people in my community, my ward, my country. I love helping my family, but I feel like I can never do enough. Another good friend, said to me " we cannot fill everybody's lamps." Talk about a stop me in my tracks moment. I found huge relief in that statement. I can tell people how I am losing weight or how I find peace and salvation in the scriptures, and by attending the temple, but I cannot physically fill their lamps for them they have to do that themselves. Everybody has their own journey to fulfill. Knowing how unique, hard, joyful, hard, stupendous, and hard my journey has been I wouldn't want it given to me or I wouldn't want it given to anybody. It wouldn't mean as much.

Where ever you are, whatever your doing now on your journey, rejoice, because it is YOUR journey. No one else can do it for you, and when you have success you will understand that you wouldn't want anyone else to do it for you.

The other is being prepared, my lovely friend, was prepared to home.
"....but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear"
-D&C 38:30
Realizing that I just posted a blog on this whole subject I will be brief.
The only way to fill our lamps and vessels and keep them filled so we can be prepared is to do it consistently, drop by drop. The wisdom of consistency is all around us. How does a lake get filled? Drop by drop. How does the snow melt drop by drop. How do we become what we want to be? By consistently being who we want to become. (Richard G. Scott) Thanks Theodora, I love you always.

Good week until this weekend, but today is Monday and I am going to do better.
xoxox
Barb

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Barb! I too felt Theodora was an example of all that one strives to become! Thanks for sharing! I'm working on the consistency thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friends are great aren't they? I have some of the best there are and a lot of them are right here in Leavitt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really good post. I have often thought about how every church meeting we attend, every prayer we say, every nice thing we do can fill our lamps, little by little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barb...you are an amazing and insightful writer! Thank you for this post. I am so happy I ran into you at TOFW and I am now adding your blog to my favorites list. You're the best. Good luck in your marathon!!!!

    ReplyDelete