Why Barefoot??

WHY BAREFOOT????
Because being barefoot to me is being raw. Feeling every sharp rock, lush clover, spiky thistle, cushioned blade of grass, slimy covered stones, fragrant feathered flowers, cereal of sand, bead of water, element of litter, and the mash of mud.

Being Barefoot is the promise of prancing in the moonlight, leaping in the waves, running through a meadow, dancing on the porch, and doing all this while enduring a long journey to the end.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Attitude of Gratitude

It's funny how some things just stick with you. An Attitude of Gratitude is a talk given in April 1992 by Thomas S. Monson. If you would have asked me I would have said this talk was given a few years ago but I never could have imagined it was over 23 years ago.

I have struggled for years now gaining weight like some people change clothes.  As I look at why I have gained weight there are some of things that stand out.

1) I have stopped writing down what I eat.
2) I have stopped checking in with my Lifestyles consultant.
3) I have stopped writing 5 things I am grateful for everyday.

Don't these look simple. I have tested and tried them. They work, if I do these things I will lose weight.  Mostly because of the consquences of these actions. Let me try to explain.

By writing down what I eat I am aware of what is going in my mouth therefore and henceforth I eat better. I suddenly realize that wow it's been days since I have eaten a vegetable that might be a good idea....

If have an appointment this week with a Lifestyle consultant I feel accountable to talk about my life and what have I done to improve my lifestyle this week. Have I got enough sleep? Have I exercised my body? Have I been true to myself? Have I lived a little more purposefully? How have I coped with stress this week?

Writing down 5 things I am grateful for everyday changes me. I begin to unconsciously look for things that I can write down.  I become focused on what I have instead of what I don't. I realize all that God has given me. I feel surrounded by blessings. It reminds me of the scripture in Zechariah 5:5   "Then the angel that talked with me went forth and said unto me, Lift up thine eyes, and see what is this that goeth forth." I know the truth of the scripture in D&C 78:19   "And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be be glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more."

It continues to fascinate me that I know exactly how to lose weight I have done it before and I could do it again.......and yet......I continue to not do it. Why? why oh why? That is a post for a different day.

But for now I am grateful for....
1) a lake without a ripple.
2) horses outside my window
3) an ability to listen to prophets past
4) for flannel pyjama pants
5) my ability to go for a walk.

xoxo
Barb

6 comments:

  1. I like you blog very much.... Thank you so much for share.
    BT customer service phone number

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how we rebel against the simple things. Keep going! I miss you. We need to get together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. bow and arrow pose

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really great contest and hopefully I can attend the next one. It was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself.. pie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic. compass pose yoga

    ReplyDelete