Why Barefoot??

WHY BAREFOOT????
Because being barefoot to me is being raw. Feeling every sharp rock, lush clover, spiky thistle, cushioned blade of grass, slimy covered stones, fragrant feathered flowers, cereal of sand, bead of water, element of litter, and the mash of mud.

Being Barefoot is the promise of prancing in the moonlight, leaping in the waves, running through a meadow, dancing on the porch, and doing all this while enduring a long journey to the end.

Monday, September 19, 2011

As per requested.....

Sorry to the rest of you, but I have had a request to post a picture of my post marathon toes. The second toenail on the left has now completely gone. So post marathon life has been HARD, big surprise as pre marathon life was HARD.
I am really struggling to find new routines, since the sun does not rise until 6:30 am and my children get on the bus at 7:20 am it doesn't leave a lot of outside morning time. And my 3 and 5 year olds are way to heavy to push in a stroller plus I really don't like running on the highway with my kids in a stroller, avoiding cars myself is one thing but with a stroller is just too scary for me. I have gone back to Kettlebells, but I still want more. So I have decided to start P90X again, and then do swings and snatches at night with Jesse. I want to break through plateau again and lose some more weight.

On Saturday I went running with some friends, and we ending up joining with a Terry Fox Run. We ran about 7km it felt great to run again, but my friends are a lot faster than I am and so my lungs really hurt for a while but I walked to try and calm them down, and then ran at my own pace. This is one thing I love about running, it is so individual. I have to admit it hurt my pride a little that I couldn't keep up after all I did just run a marathon, but then I thought maybe some one will see how slow I run and say "Hey didn't she just run a marathon?" " Maybe I could run one too." In fact the race that we joined was part of a all night run to raise money, and I think that one of the kids did end up running 43KM which is more than a marathon.

That brings me to Terry Fox. I love Terry Fox. Terry Fox makes me proud to be Canadian. He is one of our National Hero's. For a really good video of this incredible man click here. Really short version, he had cancer in his leg which had to be removed. He decided to raise money for cancer research by running across Canada, he ran 26 miles everyday he called the "Marathon of Hope." He ran every day until the cancer struck again, this time in his lungs. He passed away soon after. Now that I have run 26.2 miles this feat means even more to me. For another great Terry Fox story check out one of my dear friends blogs here.

I went to visit Linda last week she had me fill out a page that said "Write down 5 reasons you want to lose weight." This was harder for me than I would have thought. But this is what I came up with.
1. I want to wear size 10-12 pants.
2. I want to see how to live at 155 pounds. (How much do I eat? How much do I exercise? What do I eat?)
3. I want an BMI between 19-24.
4. I want to know what weighing 155 pounds feels like.
5. I would like to remain healthy for the rest of my life.

I feel like these are WEAK. I can at least understand why it has been so hard for me to commit to losing more weight.
These are all things that I want but do I REALLY want them?
Am I really ready to put in all this hard work in order to get them?
Right now I am say "yes, I think so."
Which is silly, it needs to be a

"YES! I WANT THOSE THINGS. YES I WILL GIVE THOSE THINGS TO MYSELF."

I can and will create my own reality. I can and I will do this for my self. So just like the training for the marathon, through consistency, and commitment I CAN, I WILL, I AM.
I will journal everything that goes in my mouth.
I can exercise six days a week.
I am going to be 155 pounds.
xoxo
Barb

4 comments:

  1. Yup, you'll do it!! You can do anything you make up your mind to!! Go Barb Go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There is no chance, no destiny, no fate which can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox

    I can't think of many people who have a more firm resolve or a more determined soul...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want it bad enough then you will reach your goals. Sadly I haven't been wanting it bad enough and have gotten way to comfortable with food. Food and I can't be friends! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I just talked to you for a half hour on the phone, but I didn't tell you about our milkshake progress. At the 10-day mark Austin had lost 5 pound and I lost 4. Yeah! Would you want to try it for a month? No pressure, just helping.

    ReplyDelete